Pizza Punks Newcastle

If you're around Newcastle city centre you always see new and exciting places popping up all the time. Down on Grey Street they had the addition of Pizza Punks. They opened up about a month ago but unfortunately I couldn't make the launch event but I was very kindly invited down at a later date to give it a go. They've launched a few branches in Newcastle, Belfast & Glasgow so this is a first for the North East which is super exciting as I'm sure you'll agree; we do love proper good food up north. 
If you haven't heard of Pizza Punks, they are an artisan/wood fire pizza place that created somewhere where the customer decides exactly what they want on the pizza - unlimited pizza toppings for £10! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, so I packed up my camera, grabbed my bestie and headed down the the picturesque Grey Street.
When you arrive you get to really take in the cool decor && the open fire pizza oven (these things fascinate me) it is actually an instagram dream in here with so many different areas and cool backdrops. We were then seated at our table by our waiter for the evening, Tom. He talked us through the menu where you pick one of their 'Newcastle Loves' pre-punk'd pizzas or you can choose from over 30 toppings to add onto your pizza; this may take a while to decide! 
Whilst we browsed the menu we ordered drinks; I got the cherry pop soda (£4.00) and Becca got the chocolate brownie freakshake (£6.00)
At this point our stomachs are rumbling like crazy with the amazing food being brought to other tables around us. We decided on the Mac n cheese punk'd up with candied bacon (£4.00). I swear this is what dreams are made of. Super creamy mac n cheese with a crispy top with crunchy candied bacon. This is something I would never usually order but Tom told us how amazing it was and we couldn't resist (Tom you we're right this was incredible!)
The bar has now definitely been set for the pizza. Some of the 'Newcastle Loves' pizzas did look amazing however we both chose to punk up our own.
The first thing is your dough; you have an option of sourdough or a gluten-free dough, which I think is great because not a lot of places offer this! Next up; sauce, red/white/bbq. Step 3 is what cheese you like; they have five to choose from including a vegan option! Then finally step 4 is to choose from the many options of toppings, completely unlimited without an added price tag! It took us a while to decide because some of them sounded amazing - Newcastle brown ale beef brisket - you are getting right at a Geordie's heart there!
Becca went for quite a strange mix of sourdough crust, with red sauce base topped with mozzarella then the toppings of; ham, mushrooms, potatoes, mac n cheese & lamb donner. Sounds horrific right?! she said it tastes amazing. The lamb donner was spiced & cooked perfectly, the dough was crispy and thin; definitely a winner here!
I decided to play it a little safer with my pizza. I also chose a sourdough base but with white sauce. I tried the scamorza cheese (another recommendation by Tom) which I loved! I then topped off with lemon and herb chicken, red onion & mac n cheese. Yes the mac n cheese was that good we both got it on our pizzas. Now I'm a total pizza lover and have tried places similar to this (I'm sure there's a few kind of like this in Newcastle - no I'm not gonna name drop) but these guys completely over rule every one of those. Not only was the food incredible but the service was exceptional. Very friendly staff with a laid back vibe about the place - I can definitely see myself coming back here. 
Unfortunately I couldn't quite finish my pizza but Tom kindly boxed them up for us to take home (with a cute message on the box)
All in all, I really enjoyed this. Even more so my Dad enjoyed the pizza I brought home and he is a bit of a critic when it comes to food so that is definitely saying something!
Have you guys checked it out yet? What would you choose for your toppings?

Comments