Parichat at Sohe

Sohe is one of those restaurants I've heard loads of people talk about but never experienced myself. Last Wednesday I was very kindly invited along to their 'meet the maker' evening.
Some recently rebranded to Parichat at Sohe. Parichat Somsri-Kirby joined Sohe in 2017 bringing hwe expertise in south East Asian cuisine to the North East. Her combination of talent & flavour won her 'North East Chef of the Year', so as you can imagine I was pretty excited to try the menu.
Sohe is tucked away at the top of Osbourne Road, Jesmond & have a classic relaxed vibe. With a wrap around bar, authentic decor & cosy seating; it's the perfect place for dinner & a few cocktails.
Upon arrival I was seated & offered a cocktail of choice. I went for the geisha girl martini. A sweet combination of vanilla vodka, fresh passionfruit, passionfruit puree & vanilla syrup garnished with a hollowed half passionfruit fulled with prosecco (£6.95). This is my go to cocktail - passionfruit & prosecco. 
Whilst we waited I caught up with a few of the girls && browsed the menu - everything sounds so amazing!! Once the rest of the group arrived we had a quick catch up before we learnt about Parichats culinary history && about Sohe. We were then lead to the other side of the bar where we were seated at our table which the others looked through the menu && we all caught up.
As we caught up & sipped away at our cocktails when they brought out an array of starters. I have to say they all look super tasty. We had a choice of
Oysters in a chilli, lime & ginger dressing (£4.80)
Prawn crackers with a spicy tamarind dipping sauce (£3.50)
Vegetable spring rolls with homemade sweet chilli sauce (£6.95)
Edamame beans (££3.50)
Chicken satay with spicy peanut satay (£8.95)
The chicken satay & vegetable spring rolls we're my favourite, extremely flavoursome and the spicy peanut satay was too good. Now I'm really looking forward to the mains.
Before I chose my main I thought it was time for cocktail no.2! I decided on a passionfruit Bellini (£8.25), a mix of gin, passionfruit puree, passionfruit syrup, fresh passionfruit & prosecco. Can you see a theme emerging with the kind of cocktails I like? I have the say as nice as this was the geisha girl martini was so much nicer.
Most of the girls opted for the 'Pan roasted halibut in a Thai red curry with coconut rice (£21.95) which looked amazing. 
I went for the teriyaki salmon, stem broccoli & jasmine rice (19.60). I totally played it safe as it's something I would normally eat. Perfectly crispy skin & juicy salmon meat - I am in my element. The jasmine rice matched perfectly with the teriyaki sauce - unfortunately it was a little too salty for my tasting. Saying that the rest of the meal was really tasty.
I think next time I would be bit more adventurous with what I order - the seabass or lobster looked amazing. There is so much variety to their menu, there's definitely something on there for everyone. It is not uour chain asian restaurant, it's real asian-style cooking and Parichat has created an amazing menu.

Have you tried Parichat at Sohe yet?
What's your favourite asian style meal?

Comments