Caramel Chocolate Tart / Recipe

I love cooking and baking. I especially love cooking things that look fancier than necessary; using less ingredients but still packing a punch of flavour! I've been wanting to make a tart for ages but I don't like stewed fruit so I thought I'd give caramel a go! Yes, I'm actually about to make caramel from scratch for the first time in my 25 years of existence, I mean what could go wrong?

What you'll need:
300g Bourbon biscuits
100g unsalted butter, melted
100g dark/milk chocolate, roughly chopped
for the caramel:
250g double cream
100g unsalted butter
350g caster sugar

Recipe:
1//  Using a 9 inch round tin, line with greaseproof paper making sure the sides are covered completely.
2// Blitz the bourbon biscuits in a food process until it forms a crumb, stir in the melted butter and pulse to mix. Spoon into tin and flatten with the back of a spoon; make sure you push it up the sides. Pop in the refrigerator to chill.
3// Whilst that chills start on the caramel. Gently heat the cream & butter in a saucepan on a low heat until the butter completely melts. Set this to one side for later

4// In a pan heat the sugar with 150ml water over a low heat. This should take around 10 minutes until the sugar completely dissolves. Turn the heat up until it begins to bubble. This is where you have to really keep a close eye until the mixture turns a golden colour. 
Sugar water can cause burns if in contact with the skin so be very careful when handling this.
5// Remove the sugar water from the heat and add the cream/buttter mixture. This will splash and spit so be careful when adding. Combine the two mixtures together and pour into the chilled tart case. Chill for at least 2 hours or if you can overnight
6// Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel. Chill for a further hour then your tart is all ready to serve up.
This went down like a storm! My family loved it & even work colleagues seemed to really like this! It actually lasted about a week in the refrigerator ( I think it tasted better after a few days) which is rare for our household - usually things last a few days.
I was actually quite impressed the way this turned out, it was my first time making caramel from scratch so I will blow my own trumpet and say I did a pretty good job!
I'm going to play around with this recipe - try adding different things into it and see what I come up with. If you do give this recipe a go be sure to let me know what you think of it!

Comments